Monday, June 8, 2009

Dr. Strange's article, "No 'Burp Back' Education!"

In some cases, I disagree with Dr. Strange's stance on "Burp Back" Education. The fact of the matter is that in college there are many idiotic courses that, in theory, I really don't need to help me become a better teacher. For example, the only purpose it seems for me to learn about obscure authors is just so that I can say I did. Why would I need to teach my third graders about authors whose names have fallen off the face of the earth? However, the University of South Alabama seems to think that this a crucial course that I must take in order to be able to teach nine-year-olds. Frankly, I appreciate burp back education in this course, if I absolutely must take it, because I do not intend on wasting brain matter over this stuff that does not interest me. I agree that nothing is learned in a "burp back" class, but in this situation, it doesn't really matter. In classes that do matter, there shouldn't be any "burp back" education. Plus, I think there is one benefit to "burp back" classes (besides the one I just mentioned): it teaches students that in classes, and in life, you get out of it what you put into it. If a student has the desire to learn, say if in the example above, I was an English major, that I should have the self-discipline to study the book and use the resources made available. On the other side, there could stand to be less "burp back" classes, because it is hard for me to believe that anything learned is truly a waste, so if tests were more valid, it would, of course, benefit the student most regardless of the irrelevance to the student's major.

No comments:

Post a Comment