Tuesday, June 23, 2009

"At the Teacher's Desk: I am an Optimist"

I agree with the few case-by-case incidents that the author has mentioned. I do believe that we should not “stifle” student dreams. Education today is a political and racist invention that demeans many students it claims to serve. A lot of the forerunners spreading this negativity are the teachers. So I do not think we do not give teachers enough credit. In fact, I think in many cases we give teachers too much credit. Highly qualified teachers in minority schools are scarce, and many teachers that are they reinforce negative stereotypes. This is hurting the children more than helping. I do agree with the author’s statement that teachers feel the need to tell children what is best for them, and that this is a problem. Teachers do “put a price limit on what the customer can buy” and limit education for children simply because they don’t think the kids are capable of understanding, etc. This is one of the core issues behind the problems that I have presented within this blog. Many teachers limit “minority” and “high-poverty” students because they don’t think that these children will amount to much, or that the children’s parents are apathetic. I too believe that there are teachers out there trying to counter this example, and I hope that it is not a waste of time to remain positive.

No comments:

Post a Comment